So you’ve spent endless hours, days, probably even months crafting and tweaking your website to near perfection.
Your content and copywriting is spot on.
You have some truly amazing website features that your visitors are going to love using.
Your products are to die for.
Your services are what everybody needs, and affordable too.
Your sales pages are on cue.
You've even added a few irresistible email subscription offers here and there for your visitors to hopefully sign up to.
You're ready to do business online!
Your excitement continues to grow as your website traffic slowly increases week by week.
It's all good, right?
But there's a problem!
Despite having a great looking website with lots of cool features, options, and various tempting offers. And a website with decent traffic coming in too, you can't seem to get a single visitor to either subscribe to your email offers, or to even buy into your hot products or services.
You continue tweaking your website to no end; Adding more options and more features. You even go as far as changing the design of your website completely. Adding a new theme (Assuming you use WordPress).
And guess what?
Your conversions STILL suck!
No email signups...
No product sales...
No affiliate referral sales...
And no one using your services...
You’re at a loss.
What the heck is going on???
Let's assume a few things here -
- Your website content or copywriting doesn't suck.
- You understand the purpose of your website, i.e. goals and objectives. Or, why you even have a website in the first place.
- You are targeting the right audience for your content, products, offers, and services.
So you see, design, layout, features, options and benefits are actually just the start of optimizing your website for better conversions.
Even if your site is getting a ton of traffic, it doesn't stop there.
As Bryan Eisenberg once said -
Most websites don't have a traffic problem, however, every website has a conversion problem.
It's time to STOP screwing around with your website, or your blog for that matter.
Below is a list of things you can do right now to help your website, or your blog, convert more visitors into raving fans, leads, and yes, even sales.
Are you ready??
Let’s dive right in.
1. Website Performance
Let's start with what is probably the most important step in creating a conversion centered website.
A slow website is a conversion killer, right off the bat.
No visitor in their right mind will wait for your website or pages to load. So make sure your website/blog loads at blazing, lightening speeds.
- My website loads in less than 2 seconds flat. (Click here to check page speed).
- My website performance grade score is 80+. (Click here to check performance grade).
By the way, I didn't just pull the 2 seconds rule out of thin air either, just check out these stats -
47% of people expect a webpage to load in 2 seconds or less.
57% of visitors will abandon a page that takes 3 seconds or more to load.
Here are some things you can do to improve your website page load speed right now.
- Use Google Friendly web fonts.
- Optimize and compress images before adding them to your website. You can use something like TinyPNG.com to do this.
- Compress resources. Check out the amazing Autoptimize Plugin if your website is built on WordPress.
- Use a reliable web host. (See below)
- Consider using a CDN like MaxCDN (Content Delivery Network).
2. Website Logistics (WordPress)
- My website is hosted using a reliable host provider like SiteGround.
- My website is built on the latest version of WordPress.
(Make sure you're updating your WordPress installations when updates become available)
- My website uses a frequently updated premium quality WordPress theme like Genesis or Thrive.
- My website has less than 20 plugins installed and activated.
- I have disabled and removed the plugins I don't use on my website.
- My website does not have any expired codes or scripts loading in the header section that might affect page load time.
3. Homepage Conversion Optimization
- My website uses a custom purpose built static homepage.
- My homepage is used to display my latest blog posts only.
If your website is using a custom built static homepage then that's a good start. Go ahead and check below for more homepage conversion optimization tips.
If your website, however, does not have a custom homepage, please consider creating one. This post and video tutorial will show you how to build one like the one shown above.
Note: Make sure you watch the video guide above, as I explain some of the valid benefits of using a custom homepage to improve your website conversions, as apposed to just displaying a default list of your latest blog post entries, or anything else for that matter.
- My marketing message is clear and my website homepage boldly describes my value propositions. (Make it simple for your visitors to understand what your website/products/services/offers are about.)
- My homepage has an optimized CTA button placed above the fold.
- My offerings are clearly visible on my homepage.
- My homepage is displaying my most recent client testimonials. (Check out this post about how Marie Forleo uses testimonials to grow her business).
- My homepage shows displays social proof.
- My homepage navigational menu is clean, simple and minimal.
- My homepage copywriting is helpful and informative, and has minimal self-promotional content.
- My homepage copywriting is free from spelling and grammatical errors.
- My homepage is optimized for search engines (SEO).
4. Sales Landing Page Conversion Optimization
If you're struggling to get your sales landing page to convert, this section is for YOU.
- My sales page loads in 2 seconds flat. (Once again, optimum page load speed is extremely critical for boosting conversions)
- My sales page headline tells my visitors exactly what they can get from my sales landing page.
- My sales page has a welcome/marketing video embedded above the fold.
- My sales page copywriting talks about a specific problem, and how that problem can be solved.
- My sales page copywriting is free from spelling and grammatical errors.
- I am using relevant images, graphs, screen captures and various other visual content in my sales page.
- My sales page has testimonials. (Also, check out this awesome plugin to help manage your testimonials).
- I am using social proof in my sales landing page.
- My sales page has a case study attached to it.
- There are no other design features or elements, including navigational and native links on my sales page that could affect my conversion goal. (Check out this Free Rapid Landing Page video Course).
- My sales page has attractive, powerful CTA buttons with custom text inside them. (Click here to learn how to create high-converting buttons).
- Your landing page headline presents 80% of the opportunity to improve conversions... (Source)
- Including a video in a landing page can increase conversions by 86%... (Source)
- WiJiJob shared an interesting case-study where they were able to increase their conversion rate by 34%, simply by adding 3 testimonials to their landing page... (Source)
Recommended FREE mini landing page building course...
5. Email Opt-In Landing Page Conversion Tips
- My email opt-in page loads in 2 seconds flat.
- My email opt-in page has a powerful headline title and description.
- My email opt-in page has an attractive incentive attached to it.
- My email opt-in page copywriting is relevant and informative.
- There are relevant images in my email landing page.
- I have a short welcome video on my email landing page. (According to KPCB, online video will account for 74% of all online traffic!).
- I have removed most other distractions such as ads, banners, external links, navigational menu from my opt-in page that could have a negative effect on my conversions.
- I have set goals in Google Analytics to track the conversion goal of my email opt-in page.
6. Contact Page
- My contact page is easy to find on my website.
- I have a simple to use email submission form in my contact page. (I recommend using something like Contact Form 7 plugin with some simple CSS customization).
- I have provided other ways visitors can contact me, for instance, telephone, Skype etc.
- I am using simple spam protection in my contact form page, such as reCaptcha.
- I have created some pre-filled custom fields and drop-down options in my contact form to save time.
- I have eliminated one or two unnecessary form fields that could lower my conversions.
- You can potentially increase your conversion rate by 50% simply by eliminating one form field... (Source)
7. Opt-in/Pop-up Form Optimization Tips
- I am using the best email opt-in form/list building plugin on the plant. (If you're not then click here before it's seriously too late).
- I am using simple, clean opt-in/pop-up forms on my desktop website.
- My pop-up forms does NOT appear on mobile devices (Read this)
- My pop-up forms does NOT take my new subscribers on a wild goose chase after they've subscribed. (Make sure folks who sign up stay on the same page they were on even after filling in the form and pressing 'submit').
- My opt-in incentives and freebies are irresistible, 100% relevant, and completely aligned with my business.
- My incentive offers are clearly visible in my opt-in and pop-up forms.
- My CTA button is clear to see with a powerful action message inside it.
- I am tracking my email signup conversions through content marketing reports (Thrive Leads) and data reports in Google Analytics.
- I am using a reliable SEO plugin for my WordPress website. If you're not, then click here to learn how SEOPressor Plugin can help improve your WordPress SEO.
- My SEO Meta title and description are 'human friendly' and compelling. (Make your SEO title compelling and informative enough to make them click-worthy.)
- I have optimized my website for my targeted keyword(s) and phrases.
- I have not over-optimized my content.
- My website does not have any broken links. (If you're using Google Chrome web browser, check out this extension for checking broken links on your website).
- My website does not have any 404-Error Page Not Found errors. (Click here to learn how to fix for 404's).
- My website /pages/posts are properly indexable by Google and other search engines.
9. Affiliate Links Conversion Optimization
- I am using a reliable affiliate links plugin like Pretty Links Pro or Better Links Pro to cloak and track my affiliate links.
- My affiliate links are valid and not broken.
- I am linking naturally to products and services I use and recommend.
- I am linking to products and services relevant and completely aligned with my business.
Professional conversion focused web/UX design and branding
I hope you've enjoyed reading through this website conversion optimization checklist, and more importantly, I hope that you will, or you are taking action right now to improve your website and boost your email opt-ins, subscribers, sales, and all the rest of it.
Finally, if you're a blogger, entrepreneur or an online business owner in need of help with conversion design, and branding, click the button below to learn more about my custom WordPress design services, and creative marketing services.
I wish you the best of luck and here's to your continued online success!
- Fabrizio Van Marciano
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links or image links to various products and services that I personally use and therefor recommend. Should you use one of my affiliate links to purchase something, please note that I will be paid a small commission, at no additional charge to you. I want you to know that I would never link to a product or service that I don't fully trust myself. I want to thank you for your continued support by using my affiliate link.
Last updated on: 12th January 2018