If you’re looking for a powerful yet simple and intuitive social sharing plugin to help you boost social shares, increase engagement, traffic, and conversions, then Social Warfare is the only plugin you need to use for WordPress, here’s why.
Back in 2015, I decided to switch social sharing plugins for this website.
If you’re a long-time reader of Magnet4Blogging, you may remember that I used to use the Easy Social Sharing Buttons plugin on this site.
Since switching over to the Social Warfare plugin, however, I’ve really not looked at any another social sharing plugin.
And let me be honest with you, there’s quite a few to choose from these days, both free and premium. We have Sumo Share, Mashshare, WP social and many more.
So, why did I change to this particular plugin?
Prior to switching, I had already heard so many great things about Social Warfare.
One particular feature that really attracted me to the plugin was the speed, or, how fast the plugin loads on a site.Social Warfare is the fastest, most complete Social Sharing plugin available for WordPressClick To Tweet
As a UX designer and developer, one of the things I’m completely obsessed with is website performance.
Because website performance affects page speed and therefore affects conversions too.
I had to give this plugin a try.
So as the story goes, I changed from Easy Social Sharing Buttons from CodeCanyon to the Social Warfare plugin by Social Warfare.
Note: I originally wrote this review way back in 2015, however, quite a few things have changed since. So below you will find my fully revised review of Social Warfare for 2018.
What is Social Warfare?
Let’s start from the very beginning.
Social Warfare is a lightweight, feature-packed social sharing plugin for hosted WordPress websites.
The plugin was created by three very talented guys; Nicholas Cardot, Dustin Stout, and Jason Wiser.
All three of these Gentlemen have extensive background knowledge and experience in content creation, product design, and development.
The plugin is completely free to download and use from the WordPress repository, however, it’s the premium pro add-ons with extra options and settings that make Social Warfare, truly powerful.
Who can use this plugin?
Whether you have a personal blog, or small business website, or personal brand website, it really doesn’t matter. If you want to make it really simple for your website users to share your content easily on social media, this plugin will help you do that.
What problems will Social Warfare help you overcome?
Social Warfare solves several problems.
- It’s super-lightweight in code, developed for optimum performance in mind. This means Social Warfare will load very fast on your website and not cause lag like some other plugins might.
- You won’t need to install any additional plugins just to add extra social optimization features to your site. Social warfare has most of what you need to optimize each blog post/page for social.
Features of the Social Warfare Plugin
Social Warfare, the free version, already comes with some pretty cool features. These include the following –
- Social sharing network buttons for Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Linkedin, and StumbleUpon.
- 4 primary placement locations for your buttons.
- Social share counts, including Tweet counts.
- Popular posts widget based on the number of social shares per post.
- Content-protection. (FrameBuster built in to prevent the hijacking of your content)
Social Warfare, the Pro version comes with everything the free version has, plus the following additions –
- Social sharing network buttons for Reddit, Tumblr, Yummly, WhatsApp, Pocket, Buffer, Hacker News, Flipboard, Email.
- Hover Pin button for your images (Pinterest).
- Various styles and custom design and placement of your sharing buttons and Click-to-tweet.
- Minimum social proof setting.
- Share recovery tool for your lost counts.
- Social authorship for Facebook, Twitter and more.
- Link shortening, analytics campaign tracking, and button click tracking.
Let’s take a look at some of the features and options of Social Warfare in greater detail.
#1. Button customization and display options
With Social Warfare, you can customize your social sharing buttons just the way you want it to look, and there are over 5,000 potential style combinations to work through using the Visual Options.
In addition to styling, you can position your buttons almost anywhere you want on your site/page, simply by selecting the placement options available, or manually placing the buttons into your posts or pages yourself using shortcodes.
#2. Click-to-Tweet boxes
I really love this feature. Before now, you would have had to install a separate plugin just to add Click-To-Tweet boxes into your content, with Social Warfare, however, this feature is built right in.
The Pro version allows you to customize these even further with your own CSS.
#3. Hover Pin-it button
Another one of my favorite features available in the Pro version is the easy-to-use Hover to Pin button. Enabling this means anyone can pin images straight to their Pinterest boards, thus helping you to potentially drive traffic from Pinterest.
#4. Popular Posts Widget
One of the coolest features, I think in Social Warfare Pro is the Popular Posts widget.
You can drop this widget straight into your blog’s sidebar or footer area to display your most popular posts by the total number of social shares.
You can also choose a specific network to base your post’s popularity on. See image below.
So, those are just some of my favorite features of Social Warfare Pro, if you want to check out the full list of Pro features in Social Warfare, simply click here.
How much is Social Warfare?
Once again, just to remind you that there’s a free version of this plugin available from here.
The Pro version of the plugin will cost you the following amount –
Single site – If you wish to purchase the Pro Add-ons to gain access to the extra features, support, and updates, as you’ve probably read from the list above, Social Warfare Premium is very affordable at just $29 per year for a single site license.
Up to 5 sites – If you want to use Social Warfare Pro on up to 5 sites, it will cost you $135 per year.
For up to 10 websites – Then it’ll cost your $250 per year.
What’s the pros and cons?
Now let’s talk about the things that are great about Social Warfare, overall, and the things that suck!
- Clean, modern, attractive design of buttons.
- Built with performance in mind, quick loading and won’t slow down your site.
- Fully customizable, with over 5,000 possible style combinations for your buttons. (Pro)
- Amazing built-in features, including “Click to Tweet” and “Frame Buster”.
- Lots of buttons placement and display options, including manual placement.
- ACTIVATE TWITTER COUNTS to show Tweet counts!
- A free version of this plugin available from the WordPress plugins repository.
- Affordable Pro add-on available giving you access to tons of extra options, features, settings, support, and updates, only $29 for a single-use license (per year)
- Google Analytics tracking.
- So simple to install and configure.
- Extensive knowledge database and great customer support (Premium).
- If you want to continue receiving updates for this plugin, you will have to renew your subscription each year.
- Very occasionally conflicts with other plugins, stopping some of the features working properly. However, Social Warfare team are usually quick to fix bugs.
- Tweet counts work 99% of the time, though occasionally, you might experience a period where your tweet counts will not show at all, or at least stop counting. Usually, resetting this option will solve this problem.
For me, the Social Warfare plugin with the Pro add-ons fills all the necessary gaps that all the other social sharing plugins have failed to do in the past.
Built-in social optimization tools, click-to-tweet feature, twitter cards, Twitter counts, and so on, not all social sharing tools out there really provides this much value.
I love it and will continue to use it for many more years to come, and so I highly recommend you check it out too for your WordPress website or blog, whether you decide the free version will do, or you’d like to go for the pro version, it’s your choice entirely.
Where can I download or buy this plugin?
Download the free stripped down version of the plugin here, and click the button below to purchase the Social Warfare Pro Add-ons.