OK guys and dolls, I’m throwing out yet another awesome review for you peeps, and you’re going to love this one.
Way back when I started promoting affiliate products on my blog, the one thing that I couldn’t find was a smart enough affiliate link shortening tool, or plugin for WordPress.
There were a few decent plugins kicking about, or there was always the option of using online tools like Bit.ly. Personally though I would avoid using such sites to shorten affiliate links, to avoid coming across as spamming.
Then I discovered two great plugins. PrettyLink Lite was the first, which I used for a while and was great.
The other one which I discovered much later on was called Better Links Pro by Chris Guthrie.
What is Better Links Pro?
Better Links Pro is a feature packed WordPress plugin designed to help you not only clean up your dirty, cluttered looking affiliate links, but to also track their performance as well.
You might be using the Pretty Link Lite or Pro version right now for your affiliate links, and so if I had to compare Better Links Pro with anything it would be those two plugins.
The creator or author of this plugin is quite a reputable dude as well. Chris is also behind the amazing EasyAzon 4 plugin Amazon affiliate plugin, which I reviewed here.
How much does Better Links Pro cost?
Currently you can purchase this plugin for just $37 for the version that includes developer rights! Meaning you can use it not just on your own sites, but also your clients sites as well.
And if you love creating niche sites to sell on Flippa for instance, you can use Better Links Pro on those sites too. $37 is a bargain!
What kind of problems will this plugin solve for me?
Before I dive into the list of features and other cool gimmicks in Better Links Pro, what I like to do in my reviews is share just a few problems that you might be experiencing with your blog, or an affiliate marketer, and where this plugin might come in useful for you.
- You want to clean up your links quickly and save time, because time is money right? Yes, this plugin will help you save time. You can grab your affiliate links, clean them up and add them to your content all from inside the post or page editor. You don’t need to click here and there, or leave the page you’re working on in other words.
- You don’t just want to shorten links, you want to optimise them and have more control over your links! Problem solved! From inside the ‘Add New Link’ editor, you can choose multiple options to change the behaviour of each affiliate link you create and optimise.
- I don’t want to have to go to each post to add my links after I’ve created them! Problem solved again! From inside the ‘Add New Link’ editor, you can add keywords or phrases that you want replaced with your affiliate links. Once you hit save, these changes takes immediate effect inside your posts and pages.
Again I’ve only highlighted a few of the problems this plugin could help you overcome.
Full list of ‘awesome’ features
Let’s look at all the features inside Better Links Pro.
- Create simple link redirects to single destinations.
- Create link redirects based on geographic destination (allowing you to capitalise on traffic from foreign countries).
- Create link redirects to multiple destinations (Redirects are split evenly between multiple URLs).
- Automatically replace the keywords in your blog posts / pages with the links you create (Saving you time having to manually drop links yourself).
- Single post or page advanced tracking, authenticate with Google Analytics (Great for identifying which links are performing well and which links you need to improve upon for increasing clicks, of course the more clicks, the more opportunities you will have at increasing your affiliate marketing sales).
- Create 301, 302 or 307 redirect links.
- Mask those ugly long URL’s that no one cares to take any notice of, let along click on, and turn them into nice clean URL’s
- Control how your links behave i.e. opens in new window, make no-follow to not pass page rank and link juice etc.
- Keep an eye on the number of clicks over 30 days to see which links are performing well and which need more visibility.
- Purge clicks that are older than 30 or 90 days.
- Create links quickly inside the WordPress post editor (Saving you a ton of time having to drop or create affiliate links manually).
- Create categories for the link redirects you create (Great for grouping your links i.e. web hosting links, WordPress themes links etc)
- Plus lots more…
So as you can see there’s quite a bit of cool stuff going on inside this plugin. Many of these features are simple to use.
I’ve been using Better Links Pro now for almost 2 years, and I love it. It really is the ultimate affiliate plugin in my opinion.
If you want to purchase if for yourself, or simply learn more about the plugin, click here. For now though, let’s look at the pros and cons and compare Better Links Pro with it’s rival, Pretty Link Pro.
Pros And Cons
- Simple click counter built-in
- Saves users a lot of valuable time (Big selling point)
- Authenticate with Google Analytics for advanced tracking
- Missing more detailed reports.
- Can’t export click database.
- You only get 1 year worth of updates.
So now the burning question… How does Better Links Pro compare to Pretty Link Pro?
Let’s take a look shall we?
Better Links Pro VS Pretty Link Pro
The Better Links Pro plugin is feature packed and extremely user friendly. However the Pretty Link Pro plugin does offer a few more things in the way of features.
For instance you can get more detailed click reports, create conversion reports, export click database and you also get access to some social sharing tools for your links, all with Pretty Link Pro.
There’s a pretty big price difference as well between Better Links Pro and Pretty Link Pro. Better Links Pro with Developer rights will set you back $37, whilst Pretty Link Pro with developer rights will set you back a hefty $97.
Pretty Link Pro wins points also on product updates. Whilst you only get 1 year worth of updates with Better Links Pro, you get lifetime updates with Pretty Link Pro.
If you’re looking for a light-weight affordable affiliate links plugin, with some simple-to-use built-in tools, then head over to Better Links Pro and grab this plugin. If you’re looking for a plugin with perhaps a few more complex features, then check out Pretty Link Pro.
Both these plugins are great in their own corner. I love Better Links Pro personally because it’s simple to use, it saves me an enormous amount of time and it’s lightweight. I’ll leave you to decide on which you would use.